Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Comcast vs. Astros vs. Rockets Update


Comcast vs. Astros vs. Rockets went WWE hell in a cell style as they entered Judge Marvin Isgur bankruptcy court on Monday. While I did not attend the whole court case I did come away with some new knowledge and here are the things I learned. Since I am not a legal EE’s expert my opinion is strictly as a 3 year old…..


Things I learned today…..

CSN Bay area was owed 43,000 plus and became a key competent in this Bankruptcy hearing all because of “dual feeds” now what is a dual feed. It was explained that Dual feeds is TV lingo for the home team sharing their large and small production van with the away team to help save money. So since they were not paid they were able to become a part of the Bankruptcy petition.        

The media rights fees were also learned, 45 million to the Rockets and 55 million to the Astros. I don’t know but I can assume the Rockets were paid all last season but apparently Comcast ran out of money and did not pay the Astros for the months of July and August. It was also learned that from John Ruth a CSN board member that Direct TV is a “Wild card” in terms of will they or won’t they want the channel. It was also learned most other TV providers had no interest in the RSN (Regional Sports Network).

The more interesting part of the night was towards the tail end of the night Judge Isgur asked John Ruth point blank could the Astros find better out there and he said and his response was no…. The judge also followed what about Fox? Ruth replied I am not sure, which leads to maybe the judge could be thinking about breaking this all up and letting them all go their own way.

After Ruth was finished with his questioning the next witness was brought up Margaret Barradas, who is the managing director for Crane Capital. During her questioning it was learned that Comcast would lose 200 million over the next 10 years.

Collusion was the word I took away from court during the mere 2 and hours I spent listening to testimony back and forth and even the judge used the same word, making it seem more and more likely this marriage could be heading to divorce court sooner rather than later.    


Court will resume today and while I am not sure I will be make sure to follow David Barron as he will be there covering all the minute by minute baby momma drama that is, will we ever see the Astros OR Rockets on TV? 

No comments:

Post a Comment